Saturday, March 2, 2013

Family

Last week Friday I was asked to take a child to the clinic, because they were sick.  I was told it should be a quick visit, because Fridays are open days at the clinic, so not a lot of people go and we only had one child.  In the morning I grabbed my water bottle and an apple and I was ready to go.  BG's nurse, the child and myself got to the clinic right at is opened and we were third in line.  We both figured we would be back at BG by 10am.  Things didn't go that way.  Some of the doctors showed up late and then they disappeared.  Literally no one knew where they went.  We finally got seen around 10:30 and from the appointment, the child needed to be admitted to the hospital, because they were very sick.  It was a hard thing to see.  The child was so sick that it took 24 attempts to get an IV started.  Every time they tried, it was my job to pin the child down and try to talk to them.  He screamed and looked at me with fear in his eyes.  I felt horrible and almost started crying myself, but didn't want the others to see how much this affected me.  I kept thinking about my friends and family members who have children with chronic health issues.  How they get through each appointment and treatment I am unaware, but I know that it must be through God's strength that they can see their child so sick.  I told the nurse that I could stay with the child until a BG worker came to take my place at the hospital.  I didn't think it would take long.  I WAS WRONG!!! I got back to BG after 4pm.  I was a long draining day.  I was tired, hungry and out of water.

When I got to BG, the nurse came up to me apologizing for how long it took.  My friend's Anita and Paige told me all about how they had a plan to come and bring me food and sit with me, but there was no car available for them to take.  Being back at BG reminding me of the family that is here.  Everyone knew I was at the hospital caring for this child and they wanted to help in some way, but couldn't.

I went back the hospital a few times to visit and check up on the child.  It was great to see him improve and selfishly I was concerned he would hate me for pinning him down for the IV process that I wanted him to see the good in me too.  Friday afternoon he was ready to come back to BG.  Paige and I went to go pick him up and were excited to take him back to his house.  After 2 hours of waiting (I think God is working on my patience here) we were ready to go.  When we brought him back into his house at BG, all the kids jumped up and down and were so excited.  They hugged him and kissed him and welcomed him back into their family. 

The family of God is a beautiful thing.  Members of the family of God are blood related, because of Christ death on the cross.  We all care for each other and want to help each other grow and become healthy Kingdom shakers.  We celebrate when someone joins our family and we grieve when we have to say "see you later" when someone reaches Heaven before us.  As the family of God, may we reach out to those around us with the everlasting love of Christ.  May we find ways to bring joy and peace to others lives, because that is a family is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment