Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hellos and Goodbyes

Sometimes I feel like life is a series of "hellos and goodbyes."  At times they overlap each other and you don't think of it and other times you get hit with one of them multiple times in a row.  Hellos and goodbyes are draining, but they bring life as well.

In September I said goodbye to a dear friend.  She taught me how to fight for life.  She was a sweet sister who demonstrated indescribable humor and hope in the midst of a horrible disease.  I still miss her text messages that would make me laugh and encourage me to keep fighting for the children of this world as well as her contagious laughter.  It was a goodbye that still makes me hurt.

From December to January 21, I felt like I said goodbye to more times than I can count.  Coming to Africa is a process of surrender and part of the surrender is leaving behind the people you love and care for.

On January 23, I said hello to BG, to its staff, and its children.  I said hello to my housemates Paige and Kristen. I said hello to my brother and sister, Bryan and Anita and their children.  Saying hello is easier than saying goodbye.  Bryan, Anita and I have a relationship that is more than just friends or co-workers.  Getting off the plane and seeing them brought so much excitement and peace.  Together we strive to bring hope to those around us through JOY and love.  It definitely is something that takes a team to do.  God knew the exact time I needed to be here serving together with them.  Anita and I journeyed together in 2009 for the first time.  During that trip, our hearts broke for the things that break God's heart.  Now that we are back together serving, our hearts continue to break, but they break with joy knowing we are where we are suppose to be.

My first week at BG I said goodbye to three children through reunifications with their family.  My second week I said goodbye to three children who are now in Jesus' arms.

In the weeks following those events I said hello and goodbye to the founders of BG South Africa and the BG Ambassador to England.  Relationships that brought encouragement and empowerment.

Yesterday I said goodbye to my roommate Paige.  Paige grew so much in her 8 months at BG.  She was a great roommate and who showed me Jesus through our silly times, our times in deep conversation about faith and eternity and of course through our "roommate snuggle" time.

The great thing about Christianity is that even though the goodbyes are very hard and at times the pain can resurface without any warning, the hope we have is knowing the goodbye is really a "see you later."  As we crave Heaven and life without goodbyes, may we embrace every hello and not think about the goodbye that it may bring.  May we live life without the fear of the end, but craving and desiring to introduce more people to a "hello" with Christ.  In Heaven, words like "fatherless," "abandoned," "orphan," "disease," and "cancer" won't have any meaning.  We will forget about the goodbyes, when we sit at the feet of our Abba Daddy, where the only thing that matters is the eternal hello we have with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment