Monday, April 12, 2010

abandon and alone

My prayer for this trip was that God would break my heart for the things that break His. Everyday it seems He is stripping away more and more layers of Christina and I am feeling abandoned and alone. I know this is a process and one day it will all make sense, but right now it is very tough.

A 5 day old baby was just brought to BG. She was found in a garbage bag next to the dumpsters in town. How can someone just throw away a precious child? How can a person be trash? But then I am reminded of how many times I have ignored someone or pushed away one need because I didn't think it was worth my time. Through those acts, I put someone in a trash bag and treated them like garbage.

There are people all around us right now that need to be loved. The cashier at the grocery store, a student in your class, a family member and even that person in church that you always see. The list could go on and on. People are not garbage. Babies are not orphans. We are all children of the King of kings and Lord of lords. I personally have had to remind myself of that many times already on this trip. The transition time I have been told is the hardest and I hope so, because this doesn't feel so well.

I have seen glimpses of Heaven through conversations with people at BG. I have seen Jesus in the eyes of these kids. Today I was on the playground and 1 year old boy came and melted into my lap. He just held on to me with all his might as we sat. I was so hard to put him down when I had to leave and hear his cries as I walked away.

There is so much in Africa that is abandoned and alone. I pray each day I can feel more and more like the child on my lap. I pray I can sit in my Abba, Father's lap and trust him FULLY. I pray I can take all my fears and anxieties and melt them into my Daddy's nail scared hands.

9 comments:

  1. "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you." John 14:18

    "You will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay." Psalm 16:10

    "A father to the fatherless, a defender of the widows, is GOd in his holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5

    "You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted, you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of this earth, may terrify no more." Psalm 10:17-18

    "Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me." Psalm 27:10

    Thanks for sharing your heart. Your heart that is breaking with the things that break God's heart. I'm reminded of the Avalon song "No Orphans of God."

    God knows your every need. He knows every need of each child at Beautiful Gate. He knows and He cares and He promises to not abandon His children.

    Love you and praying for you!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Terp,
    I am so sorry that this is so hard right now. I wish I could be there with you again and just cry with you. You are being such a blessing to these children that were left to die. Each time you hold them, play with them or smile at them, you are saying that you love them and that they do matter to you and especially to their creator. God has you there to love on those kids and what better way to show them than from taking them from a garbage bag and putting them into your gentle, soft, and loving arms. I am praying for you constantly. I pray also that after God allows your heart to break, He will restore it and make you so much more capable of loving all His children both there and back here!
    Love you,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I LOVE MISS TERP BECAUSE I MISS YOU. I REALLY LIKE YOU.I WILL PRAY FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE AT AFRICA."
    LOVE,
    FAITH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your heart...God knows and recognizes your love for the abandoned and forgotten. He promises never to leave you..He promises to give you strength. Thank you for choosing to walk in their pain.
    I'm praying you experience Jesus speaking to you in language that fills you to overflowing!
    In His Grip..barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. It breaks my heart to read this! I can't even imagine leaving a newborn in the trash!!! It's such a blessing that you can be there right now being the hands and feet of Jesus to the children!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terp, It is great to hear from you, keep writing...you write beautifully and it touches us to see what you see there. I will pray for you as you experience these tough days. Praise God that someone found that baby and now has you and BG to care for it! Jesus loves the little children...all the children of the world...
    Love you,
    Karen Boersema

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Terp, there will definitely be tough days, but thankfully God is good. Pray each night that God will forgive the sins of this world and that He will prepare your heart to joyfully be His servant again in the morning. God will provide the strength and peace. You are not alone my friend. Karebear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terp,
    I'm sorry to hear it's tough on you right now, but it sounds like you're keeping things in perspective. We continue to pray for you and the people at BG and Africa. You wrote so beautifully. Thank you for the reminder to reach out to people around us.
    God bless.
    Love,
    The Ver Beek's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about you today! You are not alone....We are all right there with you...
    I hope your week was better....I'll be thinking of you when I lead worship tomorrow wishing your little dancing feet were on the stage with me. ;)
    Holly

    ReplyDelete