Wednesday, June 30, 2010

pictures or clapping




I had to laugh the other day about a few emails I got. In one day, I got 4 emails asking me to post some pictures of my trip. I laughed because honestly I haven't been taking a lot of pictures. I know I just scared some of you. I have taken about 800 pictures, but I just don't carry the camera with me everywhere with me.

Yesterday I was going to get my camera and start take some pictures per people's request, but I got distracted. Instead of getting the camera, I ended up going and hanging out with a 2 year old boy. Some people here think he may have autism and we are in the process of trying to send him to get tested. He is 2 and doesn't walk or crawl. He gets around by sliding on his butt in the sitting position. He won't make eye contact and has a lot of tantrums that usually end up with him hurting himself. He needs a lot of extra care. So yesterday I sat him on my lap facing me and we clapped. First I clapped with his hands, then he put his hands on the outside of mine and clapped for me. Then he would make a noise with his mouth every time my hands clapped together. Then he started getting it and clapped by himself. For 2 hours, we clapped and for 2 hours it didn't matter what was going in the world, it was all about him and me.

For me pictures are good, they capture a memory that I don't want to forget. I am learning though about the people in the picture. They have names and stories. The other day I flipped through a magazine (I haven't done that in months) and my heart sank. There was an article about AIDs and the people whose lives have been affected by it. For me, the article was not about a distant issue, but one that I have lived in for 4 months. The faces have names. I have changed their diapers and comforted them when they were sad. I have held their hand on the playground and kicked around a soccer ball with them. They are more than a photo, they are a person.

For those who want a picture, the pictures on this post was taken by a friend of mine. We went to another orphanage last week and I made a new friend with a little boy. As you can see the camera is on my back, so my friend took some pictures. I thought about how I should take a photo, but then I just wanted to sit with him on my lap. He pressed his little body so tight up against mine. He didn't to let go of me. Saying goodbye was hard. Thanks for taking the picture Lindsey.

I am currently working on a video of my trip. I hope to have it done by the time I go home and will post it on the blog. I can't wait to show you all the people I know. I don't want to just post pictures and let you figure them out. I want to introduce you to the people I love in Lesotho.


love from Lesotho

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful stories. I think the pictures God is writing on your heart are worth much more than any Omar could take! I can't wait to see the video and "meet" the people you have come to know and love so well! Love from Zeeland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be great to meet the people who have stolen a piece of your heart.

    ReplyDelete