Tuesday, June 8, 2010

the path

This weekend, my 5 roommates and I as well as my friend Edward went on a Pony Trek through the mountains of Malealea. It was breath taking. I don't think any picture can match what my eyes saw as I rode on the back of a horse for 3 hours through some of God's creation.

The ride itself was a lot of fun, and taught me a huge lesson in trust. The last week I was struggling. My attitude wasn't that great and I was questioning a lot of things that I suppose to be enjoying. I just hit a wall. I was surrounded by some of the most beautiful kids on earth and all I could think about was how some of them will never know what a family is. My heart broke everyday as I saw them "just being kids" but then having to go to bed without the feeling of knowing, your bed is your bed. I was looking forward to the trek, because it was a little getaway from the heart break of being surrounded by children without families.

The ride was amazing. There were points when it was grass and my horse and I could run. There were points when it was steep hills and I could do was leave back or forward and trust that my horse knew what he was doing. At some points my horse had to step down 2 or 3 feet on the side of the mountain and I couldn't see where he was going. I had to trust, that I wasn't going to fall off and roll down the cliff. At one point I couldn't see anywhere my horse was stepping, because we were going straight down. At that point I just had to trust.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your lath straight."

That verse sums up my pony trek and my time at BG. I had to trust my horse and know he would get me to where we were going. Most of the ride we were in the group, riding along enjoying the mountains, but then my horse decided that he needed to lead, so he ran past 2 others horse and our guide and there was no stopping him. My guide just kept telling me don't worry he knows where he is going. At that point I had to trust the horse, because I had no idea where he was going and the group was far behind us.

In life, we are faced with times when we don't know where we are going. We don't know what adventure God has in store for us, but we need to trust Him, because He knows where he is going. I need to trust Him that these precious children will know what a family is and for the time being I need to trust Him and know I am their family. God has blessed me with 4 months to just seek Him and serve. Each day He is giving me more and more glimpses of Him and more and more moments to reflect Him to who I meet.


I pray that we all can trust God enough that even though we can't see the next step, we can enjoy the scenery. I pray we can just let go of our plans and know that He knows the way.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I must be riding that horse too. Stepping down into the unknown, having no idea what is below, just firmly trusting that God is in Control. What a great ride!

    ReplyDelete