Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm Here!!

I know...I know. I haven't blogged in awhile. If I was home right now, my neighbor would know the exact numbers of days from my last and scold me for not updating. I am sorry.

The truth is things are great in Africa. It is hard to describe my everyday activities, because they change so much. Two of my friends from church are here right now, which is SOOOO great. It is so nice to have a little piece of home here, but I also think it is showing me a little bit of the "culture shock" that will happen when I get home. They have already told me how different I am from the way I was before. God has changed me while being here. It is so freeing to see the layers of the old me being removed and the new me shining through. I praise Him for His faithfulness.

There are a few volunteers who are leaving this week. It is funny to hear them talk about the things they are going to do when they get home. One is going to eat at In & Out on his way home from the airport. Another is going to find the closet store and get some chips and salsa (there are none in Africa...it is painful.) I have been thinking about what I want when I get home. It is funny there are no material items that I want. I just want to be with people. I want to walk off the plane and give my mom and dad and BIG hug. I want to take my 5 nephews and nieces to the zoo. I want to sit around a bonfire with people and talk. I want to share Cherry Slushies with a friend. I want to sit in a lawn chair for a whole day, only getting up to move with the sun.

I have learned a lot on Africa. One of the biggest things is that people matter. I didn't invest enough time in people before this. I pray I will now. I pray God will give me opportunities to just sit with people and listen. I don't need to talk, because I want to get to people. I don't need to get to know me. God showed me, myself during the past 2 months.

It is amazing the changes that have happened in the past 2 months. What will the next 2 months bring? I don't know, but I do know I just want to take in as much of Africa and it's people as I can.

Thank you for your love and encouragement. I couldn't do this without you!!

4 comments:

  1. I pray that people back home will take the time to sit and talk and listen with you as well. I struggle with trying to find people who just want to be relational. I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was counting the days since your last post. It was 13 days!!! You know me too well. That's too long, but I did get a few emails so I knew you were there.
    I'm so excited to hear about YOU and your changes. The lawn chairs are waiting for you (and so are the fiction books). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi.
    you are exquisite.
    i just thought you should know.

    much love,
    grace

    ReplyDelete