Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Jesus Pursues Us Like A Fly In Africa

Good morning from a beautiful day in Lesotho. The first week and a half back at BG have been good. Getting back in to a routine feels great, but I am reminded everyday that my job is not routine. The past few days I have been soaking in so many moments. I have been leaving the office early so I can play with the kids in the afternoon. In the morning, when I see the kids walk to school and playgroup, I walk out to great them and wish them well for their day. Since it is my last year, I am savoring each moment, the good and the hard. I do not want to forget them, or take any of them for granted.

In the weeks leading up to my arrival, Lesotho was experiencing their biggest drought known to man. The lack of rain and high temps made life miserable. Since I have been here, it has rained all but 1 day. The temps have cooled down to a comfortable level and the grass is green. It really makes the campus of BG shine. The contrast between the green grass, red accents, tan buildings and beautiful blue sky paint God’s handiwork beautifully.

Sunday I was sitting in the grass with about 15 children all around me. We were singing, tickling and simply loving on each other. It was a beautiful moment. As I was there my heart felt a mixture of happiness and grief. You see for 6 months out of the year I get the privilege to physically be in these children’s lives, but there was grief. Grief that none of this is normal. There should be no children in care centers across the world or in the foster care system. There should not be ladies who work long days loving on children that are not their own in hopes to say good bye to them so that the children can have a family. There is nothing normal here. It just doesn’t seem right.

But in the not so normal life, there is SO much joy. The children have created families with their friends. They have found a place to belong and find comfort in. The volunteers that serve find a community in each other. Together they understand each other’s day in a way that is hard to explain to those that haven’t stepped on BG’s campus. Together you celebrate the extreme joys in big and simple ways and the feeling of lost and grief through each and every goodbye.

As I was sitting in the grass, there was a fly buzzing around my head. One that I couldn’t push away. Later that night another one was doing the same as I was laying in bed. I had to chuckle a little while I was laying there trying to swat this silly fly away. You see it hit me in that moment that like a fly in Africa, Jesus is pursuing us every moment of everyday. No matter what emotion you are feeling or what situation you are facing, Jesus is there buzzing around your head reminding you that HE IS PURSUING YOU. That he will not leave YOU. That He loves you so much He will not leave you alone. Everywhere you go He is there whispering in your ear, “I have been here. I understand. Yes, this is not normal, but one day it will be made right. Do not just do a task, serve me through it. Do not just show up, but BE fully present where you are.” What a comfort to know that the Creator of all is pursuing me and enfolding me in His arms of love.


So, here is my big theological epiphany this week: Jesus pursues us like a fly in Africa!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Terp Theology! Nothing like picturing a fly "buzzing" around my head saying... "yes, this is not normal...".

    ReplyDelete