Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Danforth's

I dislike goodbyes. This is an issue with my calling, because I feel like I say goodbye a lot. Every six months I say goodbye to either my United States family and friends or my Beautiful Gate family and friends. While in Lesotho, I say goodbye to a lot of children, volunteers and teams. With each goodbye I feel as though I am learning how to face them. Each one is different, but they all remind me how big the family of is. He created all of us different and we all have different roles in His Kingdom. Last year, I decided that since I was saying goodbye so much, when I was at BG I would just put my head down and do the work, in hopes that I would not meet to many new people thus avoiding the goodbyes. Sounded good to me, but I realized how much of a hermit I had become. This year I planned to be a hermit again, but that didn't happen.
.
Anita does a homeschool co-op every week with a few missionary families around Maseru. One of the moms and I started talking one day and a friendship formed. It didn't take long for Anna and I to get past the superficial conversations and talk about things that really matter. We recommended scripture, books and movies to each other and spent time talking about the Lord's journey for each of us. Over the past few months the Danforths, Geurinks and I have been able to get out of Lesotho and enjoy God's creation in South Africa. In those trips, I saw their hearts and was encouraged by their love for the Lord and their desire to know Him more fully.

The Danforths truly strive to dwell with those around them, just like Christ did. From Soccer ministry to MAF to ministry at the juvenile correction center to weekends in the mountains, they dwelled with the people they wanted to share Christ with. I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 6:16 which says, "I will live with them and walk among them." This is how the Danforths have brought the truth of the gospel to Lesotho. I have been challenged by their openness and encouraged by their hearts. A few weeks ago, Anna and I were able to share our past journeys and see how God has made us "a new creation." What a joy it is to share in each other's brokenness and see the hope of Christ shine through.

The Danforths are leaving this week to dwell in South Africa and share Christ with those they meet there. I am so excited to hear the stories of how God will use them in their newness and allow the story He has written to influence those they meet.

Speaker Shelly Giglio once said that our "yes" to God is extremely important, but it is less important for us and more important for the people whose "yes" depends on ours.

Sam, Anna, Elania and Sawyer, I know the Lord is going to use you to impact the "yes" of other people. He will take your brokenness and allow God's hope to shine through. Thank you for dwelling with the people of Lesotho and showing them the goodness of the Lord. My prayer for you is from 1 Thessalonians 5. "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it" (23-24). Above all I pray you continue to dwell in the truth of God's journey for you, so that you may see His faithfulness everyday through each sunrise and sunset.

Even though goodbyes are not fun, I am so glad I stepped out and said hello to the Danforths.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring family! And so are you!
    God bless,
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete