Friday, May 2, 2014

Seasons

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
 
The other day Anita and I were talking about the past few months at BG and how it is so different than last year. The Lord places seasons in our life to bring us closer to Him. Time when we cling tightly to His strength, love and peace to get us through the moments of pain and confusion. It is in those moments that you feel God's strength filling you and His mercy directing your steps. We called last year's journey winter. Winter is a season that brings cold temperatures and dark skies. Last year at BG we definitely experienced winter, but through the winter we experienced Christ in very real and intimate ways.

This year at BG is it is Spring. I rejoice in the joy that I see everyday. The children's laughing and singing makes my heart leap. But I am finding a problem with this "spring" season. I feel as though I am not relying on God for everything like I did last year. I have developed a sense of false confidence as I go about my daily duties. Yes, children come in and their stories can be sad and then children leave and it is a bittersweet event, but for the most part this year has been easier than last year. But I feel as though I am not fully experiencing Lesotho, because I am not fully relying on God's strength to get me through each day.

There are many times that I sit down to write on this blog and I have no idea what to say. How do I write about my everyday life. I know it looks a lot different from life in America, but to me it is every day things. In Michigan people get up, get ready and go to work. Your work may be in an office, in a church, in a home or in a restaurant. Everyday I get up and I go to work. My work looks different from that of Michigan, but to me it is a job and calling that I enjoy doing. I am blessed that this year I have had moments of getting away from the everyday stuff and see God in the mountains and hear His voice through a conversation with a friend and remember that even though it feels like everyday stuff, I need to serve with God's strength and mercy.

Friends whatever season you are in, trust and rely on God's strength. If you feel the coldness of winter, become wrapped in His warm embrace. If you are experiencing the warmth of spring, reach out and feel God's joy as He directs the path in front of you. It is all too easy to only rely on and seek out God when you feel the coldness of winter, but it is just as important to do so, when the warmth of spring is beating on your face.

With every season, God has more of Himself to show you. Don't overlook it.

1 comment:

  1. True words. I have experienced the same things during the winter seasons and continue to long for that intimacy in the other seasons. It's there, it's just not as intense it seems. So thankful that God knows your heart in it all...and He loves to give you Spring after Winter. Enjoy the blessings of Springtime He so loves to give!
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete