Friday, January 17, 2014

Weight

Everyone wants to know they matter to someone. I think that if everyone is honest with themselves, they enjoy it when others tell them the special role they have in other's lives. We all love to know that to someone, we are special.

The same is with children. Every child needs to know they matter. Every child wants to know that they are special to someone and a part of a family unit where each person has a part to play. Every child needs to know they have weight in this world. At Beautiful Gate, we see a lot of children who were treated as though they had no weight. They did not matter to anyone. They were worthless. They are weightless. But the second they come into our care, they are given their weight back. They are given worth.

Being back at Beautiful Gate has reminded me how much people need to know they matter to someone. During this past year, both in Lesotho and in America, God gave me relationships that were true blessings. Women in each place who wanted to spend time being together. In these times I felt I had weight. I mattered in each setting. I know how much that grew my confidence and joy. When I see these sisters, or get a message from them, my heart feels joy, because we are connected on a level that is deeper than just the traditional small talk people do. The great thing about these relationships is they pointed me to the One who gave me weight. They encouraged me to develop a deeper craving for the only One who could fill the weight.

I want you readers to know that you have weight. You all matter to someone. God created everything in this world for you. In fact, when he created it all, He thought of you. What a humbling thing to think of, that the creator of all stood over the empty space we now call earth and thought of us. He knew I would someday be in Africa and He knew that exactly what your life looks like. What a comfort to know that the One who is Sovereign is loving and cares for us His children so much that He gave us weight.

Who in your life needs to know their weight? Who needs to be reminded that they matter to someone? Is God placing them in your path so that you can go and give them their weight back? Everyday in Lesotho, either in the late afternoon or evening I walk through each house and high five, hug and/or kiss each kid. Why do I do this, because they have weight. They matter to me. Not only do I do this for the children, but I try to do it for the house mothers as well.

Today, ask God to reveal to you who needs to know they have weight. Be open to who He reveals and then GO and give them weight. Tell them they matter.

2 comments:

  1. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. I Thes 5:11.
    Thanks for the reminder friend..everyone needs to know they matter.......even those who don't look like they need anything. I'll keep an eye out today! :)
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete