Saturday, January 26, 2013

It is What It Is

I am back in Lesotho.  With each trip I am amazed how peaceful my heart is here.  It was a great feeling walking around the campus and having the staff yell my name, run to me and welcome me with hugs and dancing.  The older children remembered my name and the little one line jokes we would say to each other.  By the second day, whenever I walk out of my house or office I hear all the children call for me.  Yesterday was my birthday and I was blessed by the Geurinks and my roommates with a good dinner and relaxing night watching the awesome African sunset.

This week we have had 2 boys reunited with family members.  BG is a great place that has provided a home for these boys for a number of years and now one is in South Africa and the other is in the mountains of Lesotho.  I pray that these boys continue to grow into the young men that God created them to be.  I pray they remain healthy and strong.

The thing that gets me with each of my trips is that no matter how many people adopt children or how many children are reunited with their families, the orphan crisis is still VERY present in the world.  My heart breaks for the few children who have been here for each of my trips.  They deserve to have a family and as much as BG tries to be that family, it never can take the place of parents that love and raise children to be adults.  At times it is overwhelming the amount of responsibility I feel to make sure these kids are treated as children not neglected children.  With every high five, knuckles and hug I give, I pray the children know there are people in this world that love and care for them and see them through God's eyes.

My friend Lindy fought cancer with 5 little words, "It is what it is."  Before I came to Lesotho I had a little wooden sign made with those 5 words on it and it reminds me each day to fight.  The orphan crisis "is what it is" and it won't go away until Jesus comes back to save the world, because abandoning and neglecting children is sin and sin will not go away until we all reach Heaven.  BUT that doesn't mean we should give up on the children.  Each day I strap on my sandals, I pray that I can reflect the love of God to these kids, because that is simply what they are...kids.  I pray that God gives me the strength and endurance each day to be obedient to His plan.

If I can fight the orphan crisis with the same strength, grace and humor that Lindy fought cancer, the world better watch out!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment