Saturday, March 22, 2014

Value

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed."
Psalm 139:13-16 (New Living Translation)
 
 
If the creator of the universe and King of all kings makes something, it has to be good. I love the NLT version of Psalm 139. God knew the "delicate, inner parts" of our bodies. I imagine Him sitting and watching us as grew and matured before we were born. As we took our first breathe, He cried with joy. When we opened our eyes and focused on something, He gave us peace knowing that He created the world for us. God puts value on the people. He created everyone and everyone has value. Today I am struggling with the fact that people think others have no value.
 
Yesterday a beautiful baby girl was brought to BG. She was 2 weeks old and fit perfectly in my arm. As I carried her around like a football, my heart was overjoyed that she was with me. I am a sucker for newborns. I love their sounds, facial expressions and yes even their smell. Her Sesotho name was not nice, so the staff started calling her Ausi Christina. For almost two hours, she stayed with me. I took her to the clinic, to her house, gave her a bottle, changed her and loved her. She had value to me. But the sad thing is to her mother, she did not have value. She was abandoned on the side of the road. Left out like a piece of trash. Thankfully someone heard her cry and took her to the police.
 
This morning I got up and went to her house to snuggle and found out that while I was off campus last night, the police came by with her mother. The department of social welfare was able to investigate and locate the mother. She currently is in jail for abandoning her child, and when released plans to come and get her daughter. My heart knows that it is good that this precious little girl has a family, but I pray that her mother will make good choices from now on and take care of her daughter.
 
Like everyone of His children, this little football sized girl is priceless to God. He knows the delicate parts of her and wants the best for her. Most days I sit back and hear the children's laughter at BG and am filled with grief that this place has to exist. Why can't everyone see people as God sees them? Why do we feel we can put value on another life? If the creator of the everything thinks everyone is priceless, why do some people treat others like garbage?
 
I took time today to snuggle with Ausi Christina. I want her to know that she has value. That even though her life had a bad start, she is priceless and deserves the world. I wish I could give the world to every child here. I wish I could give that to every family waiting to adopt their child. It is heart breaking to me that places like BG exists, but even worse that because of the number of orphans, most care centers are not as well equipped as we are, due to the volume of children that need care. My heart also finds peace knowing that these children have a place go to and is thankful for BG and the other care centers around the world.
 
Join me in praying this week for value. Pray for those who believe they have no value and are hopeless. Pray for those who feel their life has more value than another's and mistreat others. Pray for families whose family is not yet complete and are waiting to add more value. Pray for the children who have been treated without value, may they know they are priceless.
 
This week in Lesotho, there will hopefully be a matching meeting. In this meeting the government will look at the children who are available for adoption and match them with a family that desires to care and love them. Pray that as God matches these families together, redemption will be the theme of their journey.
 
As you read this, know that you have value. The creator of the universe knows your "delicate, inner parts" and He thinks you are priceless. 

1 comment: