Sunday, March 2, 2014

Provider

This past week I have realized, that even though I want to say I have embraced the relaxed African personality, I have not.

First, Wednesday afternoon, the water for the Maseru (capital of Lesotho) was turned off. We were told it was going to be 3 days, so a water main could be fixed. Thursday, I was fine. Yes, I missed my shower, flushing the toilet normally, instead of using pond water to do so, and being able to do my laundry, but it just felt like camping. Friday morning, the "whines" set in. After spending time with 60 children who crawl, pee, puke and poop on you, and who have also have not bathe, you just feel gross. It was hot, I was sweaty and I was getting very stinky. I usually do my laundry on Friday's so I was running out of clean clothes. My bathroom smelt like one of a campground, which is never pleasant. My housemates and I were washing dishes in a sink of cold, slimy water that had been there since Thursday morning. The orange film that was floating on top of the water made me question if the dishes were clean. Friday evening, the mosquitoes came out and I was so tired that I didn't care that I sprayed myself extra good with bug spray. If you already stink of sweat, urine and puke why not add bug spray?! I was trying to joke and have fun with it. Since we were conserving our clean water, I decided that I would "sacrifice" and drink more Coca-Cola to save the water. (I am addicted to the Coke here and only allow myself a few a week, but this weekend all limits were off.) I share these details to try and paint an accurate picture, but really it was not as bad as it sounds. Since everyone around me was stinky, no one really said anything. :)

The joy came Saturday morning, when I turned the faucet on and water came spitting out. My roommate and I started dancing around the kitchen, so excited for water. I took a quick 3 minute shower (because I wasn't sure how long the water would last) and it felt like Heaven. Being clean is a great thing. Saturday was full of dish washing, laundry, toilet flushing and joy. My roommate Grace and I talked about how the air outside even felt cleaner and lighter. We celebrated the day with a special lunch and the ability to feel clean again. It was a piece of Heaven on earth.

Then Sunday morning happened. I had to take a child to the hospital to be checked in for surgery. We all thought it was weird that her appointment was on a Sunday, but we went anyway. After waiting for a few hours, we saw the doctor who said there had been a mistake, because they do not have appointments on Sunday and surgeries are only done on Tuesday. We then asked if the child was schedule for Tuesday and he did not know, because he misplaced the appointment book. I had to laugh, because it only made since that only one book holds all the appointments and it was missing. So after 4 hours, we were back at BG with the child.

I have to say my eyes were open to Lesotho living even more while I sat at the hospital. I really wish I knew more Sesotho, because I was in the children's ward and there were many kids there alone. I tried my best to go and cheer them up, but my limited language hinder me. Looking at these children and the condition of their casts and treatments made me miss the health care I have in Michigan. I was saddened, because I feel every person and every child should be treated the same. This was even more magnified, when I walked into the ER of the hospital. The waiting room over packed with people groaning and moaning. There were children crying while they sat on the laps of an adult who was sleeping instead of consoling the child. There were 2 people who had been stabbed and were bleeding very badly. Their blood was pooled on the floor under them as their friends tried to put pressure on their wounds with their own shirts. It was a hard thing to see. People so desperate for help, just waiting. Waiting not knowing if the breath they just took would be their last. Waiting in hopes to see a doctor. Waiting... One patient went up to the desk and asked for a glass of water. The nurse informed them that they could not give them water, because their water had not been turned on yet. My mind went back to the previous day, when I was doing laundry, taking a shower, washing dishes and filtering enough drinking water for a week. I had no idea that the water supply to the hospital was not turned on yet. People who are at the hospital because they are sick, couldn't have water.

I went 3 days without water, and I have to say my attitude was not good. The second it came on, I started using it right away and later that day I forgot what it was like to be without. I whined. I complained. But the second the water came on, I became a glutton again. Sunday showed me that I had nothing to whine or complain about. BG has a water reserve tank, we had water. Yes we couldn't do everything we normally do, but we had water. Everyday around Lesotho, people take wheel barrels and pray that the wells they go to will have water. They do not know what a shower is, because they do not have plumbing in their house. The toilet pit in their yard always smells like a camp ground bathroom. BUT they sing, rejoice and are grateful for what they have. They do not whine or complain, but simply heat up a bucket of water and wash their bodies, their dishes and their clothes.

Friends, no matter what you face today, find joy in it. Do not allow our spoiled lifestyle over take joy. A shower is not worth having your joy stolen from you. Be grateful that if you feel sick, you can go to the doctor and get medicine. Praise God that the water you drink is not full of collar and other things that will only make you sicker. Give God glory, because in all things He provides exactly what you need for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Yes He is provider. Thanks for the reminder that we have been blessed beyond measure. Our nature, my nature...like the Israelites is to complain...I'm going to try this week to not complain!! To be thankful! I always enjoy your entries, keep em comin'!
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete