Monday, June 10, 2013

From Light Switches to African Adventures

The past two days have been tough emotional ones for me.  Tuesday morning the Geurinks leave BG and head to do a fund raising tour in England, Netherlands and Belgium before heading back to Michigan on June 26.  I am very embarrassed that my emotions have taken over my body, since I will see them in Michigan in 3 weeks, but when you have a relationship like ours the thought of them leaving makes tears well up in my eyes.

In 2009, I knew Bryan as the silly PowerPoint guy who would spend a lot of time laughing during our rehearsals at Haven.  I always wanted to know why he was laughing, now that I have lived and worked with him, I understand.  Bryan can take humor out of any situation.  In 2010, Bryan came out to see BG before he accepted the job as operations manager.  I remember being very excited the day he came.  One of the staff said, "Your friend is here."  I laughed because I really didn't know Bryan a lot, but I knew that he was a friend.  When I walked out the front door he gave me a huge hug and said, "Hey sis".  That is when the family relationship started between us.  Because of the conversations we have had and the things we have experienced together, I see Bryan as my brother.  God has given him a heart for shepherding people.  He doesn't want to do the work for people, but he wants to teach them to take pride in themselves and learn how to work with excellence.  The staff here have embraced his leadership style.  I love the relationship he has with each of them.  The office staff know he is working for them.  The maintenance staff know he is working for them.  The house staff know he is working for them.  He works to provide for his family, not only Anita and the kids, but also the 40 staff and 73 children at BG.  He cares for each of them.  Even though he doesn't have the opportunities to get into the houses and play with the children a lot, the second he picks up a baby, his focus is only on that one child.  Bryan, my brother, your heart is so full of love for BG.  You are an amazing shepherd.  Thank you for taking time just to talk, to laugh (a lot) and to listen to my thoughts about BG.  You have taught me so much about what it means to love what you are called to do through the good times, the bad times and the unbelievable times.  Take time this fall to get into the woods and feel God's embrace over you.  Take time to enjoy the things that God blesses you with.  Above all, take time to gaze upon your Abba Daddy. 


In 2009, I had no clue who Anita was, other than that we were going on a mission trip together.  Through our stressful travel route to Africa, I learned about her faith in God.  When things happened that caused us to miss flights, Anita was in the corner praying.  On the trip, I was trying my hardest to act like I thought the "spiritual leader" of an adult mission trip should be.  I joked and had a good time, but I wasn't fully being me.  One night after a long day, Anita climbed into her top bunk to journal.  When she was done she asked if I would turn the light off.  Simple request right...Well culture shock paired with being tired made the "real" Terp come out.  Talking very sarcastically, I told her that I would love to serve her by turning off the light.  From then on, a great relationship formed and we have been turning the lights off for each other ever sense.  There were a few times on that trip, that we "sacrificed" and stayed back to hold babies while the team went into town.  I will never forget those afternoons.  We shared each others journeys, we grew as friends and had our hearts broken to God's heart.  Over the years we communicated through many ways and the friendship turned into a sister relationship.  Since January, our relationship has grown through every hospital trip, funeral, new child, coffee date and late night chat.  In 2009, we prayed for our heart to be broken, never did we realize that that prayer would bring us back to Lesotho only to have our hearts not only broken, but at times having it feel like they were put through a food processor.  Anita, you shine God's compassion to your family, the staff and the children at BG in a huge way.  Your eyes radiate God's love and mercy to people who have been thought of as garbage.  You have experienced a lot in Lesotho, as hard and good as it was, it has grown you into a better person.  God is still breaking your heart, but He is doing it so that His light shines through.  Take time this fall to walk through the leaves, to talk with those that have reached out to you and to sit on your Abba Daddy's lap and soak up His love.

 
Every Monday night, I have had the awesome opportunity to steal Elijah, Faith and Mercy and go on a "Miss Terp" date.  Pretty much every date was the same, dinner at KFC and a movie at home.  Through these dates I have been able to get to know each of the Geurink kids in a special way.  Their energy and perspective is always awesome to hear.  Elijah, Faith and Mercy take time this fall to run and play.  Take a walk through the woods with Papa and Oma.  Enjoy the break God is giving you.


Now I would like to make one thing clear, the Geurinks as great as they are, they are not super heroes.  They are normal everyday people who just happen to live in Africa.  Living with someone for 6 months allows you to see the good, the bad and the ugly.  Sharing the same wall as their kids' bedroom allows you to hear their realness.  We have had a lot of laughs over our celebrity status that some people have given us.  Believe me, the Geurinks and myself are nothing special, it is just that our office is in Africa.

Friends, as the Geurinks head back home, after being in Lesotho for 2 and a half years, I pray you embrace the new people they have become and see them as God sees them.  I pray that as a community we can learn from each others experiences.  We all have hearts that God uses to reach out to different parts of the world.  I am so blessed and honored that He allowed me to serve with the Geurinks and have our hearts broken to the things in Lesotho that break His.

No comments:

Post a Comment