Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Dream Come True

This is my fifth time to Africa and secretly I had a goal for the trip.  I wanted to go on a Safari.  I have heard from so many others who have gone on trips to Africa about how awesome seeing elephants, giraffes and other animals was.  I know I have been lucky enough to hold baby lions, but they were caged.  I wanted to see a lion in the wild.  A few months ago the planning began.  The Geurinks and I, along with our friends the Beukers (who were in Lesotho picking up their new daughter) had a great vacation planned.  We were going to spend a few days in Jo'burg, because the Beukers had some doctors appointments they had to go to, and then we were off to the Black Rhino Reserve.

While in Jo'burg the Geurinks and I ran a bunch of errands and enjoyed a DELICIOUS lunch at McDonalds!!! I didn't realize how much I missed this American staple.  We went to a few malls in the area and right away I knew I was no longer in Lesotho.  I was a little overwhelmed by the pace of life and the amount of white people that surrounded me.  Another thing I have always wanted to do was go to a restaurant called Carnivore.  This place was so good. I ate Crocodile, Impala, Kudo, Eeland and other Africa deer.  Imagine sitting at a table while a metal plate and the waiter takes a big screwier of meat am places it over your head and then takes his huge knife and carves off a little piece of meat for you.  Yup...that is Carnivore.

On Saturday morning we drove to the Black Rhino Reserve.  We drove in two vehicles with walkie talkies for communication.  Right when we drove into the reserve, I had 2 very good sightings of elephants.  They were hiding from the sun in the trees, so we didn't have a full view of them, but my adrenaline was already pumping.  After stopping for a while to watch the elephants, we started driving to our houses.  Bryan and I were in the lead and as we started turning the corner, a giraffe picked his head up above the trees.  I was SO excited!!! I started whisper-yelling into the walkie talking to inform the other car. "STRAIGHT AHEAD, STRAIGHT AHEAD!! 12 o'clock! GIRAFFE!! STRAIGHT AHEAD"  The other car had a good laugh about my excited tone all done in a whisper.  They asked why I was whispering, and I told them I was using my Safari voice.  Needless to say, I was like a little kid in the toy store who was just told they can get anything they want. 


Black Rhino is a five star, all inclusive park that was AMAZING!!!!  Pretty much I only did 4 things for the 3 days we were there.  I ate...I went on Safaris...I laughed and I showered outside. :)  Yup...it was a great trip!!!  Each day we woke up at 5:15am to make it to the 6am Safari.  Yes, it was early, but to see the sun rise over the African landscape was incredible.  That Safari ended around 9:30 and then we had time to relax.  Our next Safari was at 4pm in the afternoon and lasted until after sunset.  I was reminded of God's faithfulness through every sunrise and sunset.  We serve a great God.



On my first Safari, we were driving for awhile and had only seen some zebras.  They were cool, but I wanted to see something more.  As we rounded the corner, our driver slammed on the brakes.  Less than 8 feet away from our vehicle were 5 rhinos.  What an amazing thing to see.  To my Haven family, being a CRASH has a whole new meaning to me now. 



On Sunday we headed to the lodge for lunch.  The lodge was right on a water hole and when we pulled up we was about 20 elephants.  I have to say eating lunch with elephants playing in the water and spraying each other was an amazing thing.



There are too many stories to share on the blog about my trip, so here are some photos...

 
 

 
 


 



 


At first I felt guilty going on this vacation, but once we crossed from Lesotho to South Africa, my heart felt lighter.  I needed to get away.  For the past 5 months I have been working 24/7.  Most nights nothing happens and I can enjoy those around me, but there are some time when I get a knock on my door and there is a house mother there who needs help with something.  For the past month I have been struggling with anxiety attacks and the feeling like I can do more and I should do more.    While on vacation I learned that I need to do things for me.  I need to take time away to breathe, to relax and to regain focus on the passion that God has placed in my heart.

This trip was a dream come true.  Seeing elephants, lions, giraffes, rhinos, zebras, warthogs, many types of deer, monkeys and birds all in their natural habitat was something I will never forget.  being able to experience it for the first time with people I love was a blessing as well.  The Safaris were definitely the highlight of the trip, but the moments of just relaxing together were great too.  Bryan blessed Anita and I one night with a girl's night.  He took the 3 kids into their house and Anita and I stayed in mine.  It was an incredible way to end the journey we have been on.  The Geurinks leave on Tuesday for 3 weeks of fund raising in Europe and then they head back to Michigan.  I am going to miss our conversations and laughs, but I am not too far behind them.  July 1 is coming fast and I will be back in Michigan, journeying through the next length of this journey with fund raising and meetings for Beautiful Gate.
 
The things I have experienced in the past 5 months have made me appreciate every second of everyday.  I am so blessed by the love and support I have from so many people along this journey.  I serve a great God who knows the joy and sorrow of this life and walks the journey with me...hand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment