Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One Month

A month ago today I got off a plane in Maseru and was greeted by my friends Bryan, Anita and Paige.  I remember on the flight from Jo'burg to Maseru, I was nervous and fearful of what I was getting myself into.  The peace that I had felt for months was gone and my heart was doubting the adventure I was about to take.  But then, I remember getting through customs and looking through the glass door and seeing Anita's smile and I started feeling like no matter what came my way, I was now a part of a team and that brought peace.  It was like God was saying to me, "I have you in my hand precious daughter.  I will not leave you.  I know the journey already."

Deuteronomy 31:6
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Taking a leap of faith is hard, it is one that requires true trust in God that His promises are true and His promises are the only thing that will help me along this journey.  During my first week at Beautiful Gate, we said good bye to 3 children as they were reunited with their families.  During my second week, we said goodbye to 3 children who took their last breath on earth and then their first breath in Heaven.  During week 3 we juggled having a lot of children coming and going from the hospital, we grieved, we sang, we worshipped our One True God and tried to catch our breath.  During week 4, we said hello to a new child and lived the journeyed through each day with the peace that only comes from God.

Philippians 4:4-6
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

To say this month has been hard, would be an understatement.  I feel like I didn't even get a chance to catch my breath from jet lag and we as a staff were faced with tragedy.  But this past month has also been full of laughter and joy.  That is the great thing about journeying hand in hand with God, He doesn't let you sit in your sorrow without giving you a glimpse of Heaven.  Sometimes you have to look for it.  Sometimes it seems like He has forgotten you and it takes time to see it, but He will never forget His children.  He is there and He will carry you through, you may just need to stop, quiet yourself and get away from the distractions of this world.  In all things, God will never leave us, He will fighting for us.

There have been moments along this journey in which I stopped and wondered why I was here.  I question if I am strong enough to handle the situations that are life in Lesotho.  It is in those moments in which I need to stop and remember I don't have enough strength for this, but God does and it is His strength that I use to run out in the yard each day and play with His beautiful children.  It is His strength I use when I make thank you videos for donors and other videos to present the situation of child abandonment in Lesotho.  It is His strength as I live in community with others and strive to reflect Christ in all I do.  Sometimes I forget the simplicity of this job.  I feel like I need to concur the world, but the world is too big and has too many problems.  It is in those moments that I need to stop what I am doing and go hold a child.  When your arms, lap and heart of full of the trust a child has for you, you understand a little bit more of God's love and trust.  As I hold a child, I remember He is holding me.  I am His little child.

Matthew 19:14
"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'"

This week I was given a link to a video that reminded me why I am here.  In Sweden there is a little girl named Christina, who touched my heart back in 2010.  Her family wrote her a song and put pictures with it.  In the moments when I wonder if I am making a difference here, I need to stop and think of Christina and the many other children around the world who are now living and growing in a loving family. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8re6qLvw-E

God never brings us somewhere that He cannot take us through.  Thank you all for your love, support and encouragement over the past month.  You too are making a difference in Lesotho, by allowing me to journey through this Leap of Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment