Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Old, Old Story

With each day, there is one thing that I need to know and that is the story I base my life upon. No matter if the day ends in victory, defeat or a tie, I need to hear and know the gospel story. It is a story so rich, so deep and so powerful that even if I heard it multiple times a day, it would never old. The reassurance the story brings fills my spirit when I feel defeated and alone. The hope it gives on days when everything has gone right, makes my heart so excited about what Heaven will be like.

Just imagine Heaven. Imagine a place where there is no more competition. No more measuring yourself against someone else. No more doubting that you are not doing enough for God and the people in your life. No more moments of wanting to give up, because the numbers are just too big and the time is so short.

For me these moments of fear and anxiety are all too real and frequent. The other night I laid awake trying to discover what I needed to do to make sure everyone I pass knows the story and that it isn't just a story, but life. My mind drifted to a photo I have of a tiny little hand trying to wrap it's fingers around one of mine. This child's life was too short and filled with so much pain, but as I stood in an Africa hospital and was ask to pray, all I could think of was to encourage this precious baby to let go and enter into a life filled with joy, hope and worship. A life based upon the old story I love to hear. The other night, I was reminded that we all need to be told to let go sometime. To let go of the pressure. To let go of the worry. To let go of the doubt. We need to be reminded that the battles we face here are not what our lives are suppose to be consumed by. We need to know the grace, mercy and forgiveness offered to us everyday. And we need to know who offers us that grace, mercy and forgiveness.

"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM." (Exodus 3:14)

We need to know that the Creator of the Universe created it for us. We need to know that the same person who led Abraham, Moses, Joshua, David, Rahab and so many others, leads us. We need to put trust in the One who answers every question of "how" and "why" with "I AM." We need to let go of the fears because of "I AM." We need to put away work and met with people because of "I AM." We need to be in community with others and hear their stories of "I AM." This week I was reminded through texts and emails how important it is to share how we have seen "I AM" throughout the day. As we share the old, old story, we encourage others to let go and embrace "I AM."

May I never live through a day in which I do not have an "I AM" experience to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment