Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Faithful

There is a team from Holland Christian High School serving at BG this week. It is so exciting to share my Lesotho home with high school students who truly want to serve. Today we left BG and went to the Good Shepherd Center. The GSC is a place where teen moms can stay with their children and receive an education. It also is a place of support for teenaged orphans living in Lesotho. They assist many students who have lost their both of their parents with school fees and tutoring. The HC team was able to be with the GSC students all day. They shared stories, worshipped together and prayed for each other. An HC student shared their testimony of being adopted and another shared her story of losing her mom. The GSC students were encouraged by hearing that students in America walk similar roads that they do. To say the Lord was in the room would be an understatement. The Lord was overflowing out of the room. At the end of our worship, we split up into groups of 10 and prayed over each other individually. Friends, I want you to know, there was so much power in this moment. Students laying hands on students who live an ocean away, praying for similar struggles and peace. The Lord is good!!!

The Lord is faithful.

That is all I could think about today. On June 11, 1996, I was 16 years old and excited about summer vacation, then the phone call came. Two of my friends were in a car accident and one of them passed away. I was so angry at God. I wanted nothing to do with a God who would take the life of a teenager who wanted to give her whole self to serving Him. My friend was going to pursue a life of mission work. She wanted to make sure that everyone knew how much they were loved and that they belonged to a family. My heart was filled with anger and bitterness. If you would have told me then that I was going to be serving God, I would have laughed at you. BUT, through the prayers of many and the Lord's faithfulness, today I stood in a crowded room and led worship. The anger was taken away, and God was using me to do what she dreamed. As we sang "Oceans," I smile and choked back the tears. "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters, wherever you would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith would be made stronger, in the presence of my Savior."

The past 18 years have been a journey and through every step, the Lord remained faithful. As I heard the students today, both American and African, shared their journeys and heart, I was reminded of my friend. She wanted the world to know that they belonged. She wanted people to know they were loved. The Lord is faithful, and it is humbling and a complete joy to know that I get to serve Him by telling people they belong to someone, no matter what their earthly journey looks like.

He is faithful.

"but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31

2 comments:

  1. Love you sharing your heart! So glad God has brought our paths together in Zeeland, Chino and Africa! We bless you and thank you!
    The Spykstra Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this one! It is so heartfelt and so wonderful to hear what God is doing in and through people. He is always at work, in every part of the world and in every child of His, Praise Him for that!
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete