Friday, August 27, 2010

The Void

Ever since being home, I have been walking around with a void. I know God completes me and with Him guiding my way, I am not incomplete, but for some reason I have just felt like half a person. When I first got home, I called it "culture shock." Everyone warned me about how hard the transition was going to be and they were right it was hard, but I have been home a month and I still feel incomplete.

At first, it was when I was alone at home and surrounded by all the "stuff" of home that the feeling was very strong, but the past few weeks it has come up when when I am with others. The void has made my mind process things differently and because of that conversations I have had with people close to me have changed. On the outside I could be laughing, but my insides are very screwed up. Last night I had a conversation with a close friend about goals. I was able to say a few goals that I truly do have, but inside everything she said, my mind answered with "she isn't going to think your goal is good." or "how can I have a goal, because something inside of me is missing." I went home just feeling defeated. I feel like I can no longer have a conversation with my best friend without the lies of satan whispering in my ear. I feel like I can't even hang out with people, because an innocent conversation about nothing or everything, turns into me thinking something is really messed up in me. This void has made me want to distance myself from others.

Today I think I figured out what the void is. I miss serving others, every minute of every day. For 4 months, I was a mom, (the best form of a servant) I was the person that made the food, got kids dressed, played with them, taught them things, kissed their hurts and put them to bed. They ran to me for comfort, they got mad at me when I disciplined them, they wanted to play with me some days and other days wanted me no where near them. Today I took my 3 youngest nephews and niece with me while I ran some errands. It was so much fun to be out with kids and have people tell me how cute they are. On the way home, my 2 year old nephew fell asleep and would not wake up after I took him out of his car seat. He just snuggled in my arms and I felt the void get littler. I then knew what I was missing. I miss being a mom. I feel like part of me is gone, well 46 parts of me are gone actually. 46 parts that gave me purpose. I know some of you are know thinking, "is she going to adopt?" Not now. I LOVE adoption. I support adoption, and if God calls me down that road someday I will gladly walk the path. But if I adopted right now the child God gave me, would not fill the void I have.

Also since being home, I have jumped back into building relationships with the high school students at church and have become involved in some things that have allowed me to serve. I love serving. It makes my heart happy, but it doesn't fill the void.

This past Sunday I stood up in front of my church and challenged them to focus God's plan, to fix their eyes on the things that are not right in front of your face. We need to fix our eyes on what we cannot see, because that is what is eternal. (2 Cor 4) As I talked to them, I was also talking to myself. Right now I am journeying through a tough place, but I pray with expectation, that one day it will all make sense. One day I will understand the void that is in my heart. One day I will feel complete, and no human person can take that void away. Daily I have to remind myself that the void I am experiencing will only go away when I reach Heaven. I may try to fill the void with a person or a "project" but those things will not fill the void. The void is the fact, that I am not home. Heaven is my home and I will live in a void until my homecoming.

BUT I will live with JOY through the void, so more people can experience what TRUE love with our Father is all about. I choose to focus on the good through the days when the void is screaming at me and satan's lies are louder than God's whispers. I choose to walk in peace and in choosing this, I must be bold with my faith. I have to tell others that the voids that they may be walking through, are temporary. I must be bold and not shrink back.

I miss being a mom, I miss serving every second of everyday, but I know God has a plan and I am choosing to believe one day this feeling will go away and everything will make sense.

5 comments:

  1. Terp this is so good....and it also makes me really think about my job as a mom....sometimes its not so fun and I want to 'get away'. But you've made me think about really trying to enjoy it more and be thankful for this place God has put me and these lives he has entrusted to me. Thank you for your honesty, and I can say I relate in some way because I do feel like a stranger here sometimes! Like when we get to heaven the soul will feel complete...how awesome that will be!
    Love ya girl!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly just totally took the words away that I wanted to say to you!!! I have 4 kiddos and still don't always feel complete with my job and feel like I'm not doing it well enough, I think everyone goes through those feelings in different ways! BTW..Anytime you want a few extra you are welcome over here:):)
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty. Your reflections remind me of a phrase Pastor Henry often used about feeling "the void:" He called it a "holy discontent." I think we all experience that in some form or another on this side of eternity. But while we wait, we continue to grow, to serve, to love more deeply, and to see glimpses of who Jesus is and His incredible and perfect love for us! Love ya! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why that post took you so long. There's a lot of honest reflections there that are hard to put into words. You are truly are a woman after God's own heart. Keep loving Him and serving Him and together someday we'll have our "voids" filled. Love you,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. the void...we are "homesick". So, I'm thinking we "FIX our eyes on Jesus" ..Serve Him, Live for Him and Love Him,...until the day He makes all things new:) And, God helping, we take lots of friends/family and neighbors from all around the world with us!..and in that moment we will be complete. love you! In His grip, barb

    ReplyDelete