Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Beautiful Race

Saturday was one of those days when I need to pinch myself and take a deep breath. God is so good. A few months ago I was contact by a race company in Michigan to host a 5K run benefiting BG in Michigan. There have been multiple other 5Ks in California and Vancouver, so I knew it was a good thing to do. I quickly formed a planning team and while I was still in Lesotho they began the process of putting everything together. Let me tell you, the planning team was amazing. Putting on a 5K is way more than what I thought it would be. This team gathered sponsors, insurance, promoted and ran the event with class and honor. It could not have happened without them.

As last week unfolded and everyday something had to be done for the event, I was becoming more and more excited to see what the day would bring. Friday night I couldn't sleep because my head was racing with 5K excitement. The morning proved to be way more than just a 5K run.

It was a time for friends to reunite and catch up.
It was a time for people to serve by handing out water, snacks, awards and registration.
It was a time for people to meet, who had only heard about one another, but never met.
It was a time for churches, businesses, and individuals to give of themselves.
It was a time of laughter...lots of laughter.
It was a time of cheering on people who you didn't know, but had a connection to because of a run.
It was a time to be blown away by God's goodness.
It was a time to unite and show hope to children and staff that you may have never met.
It was a time to acknowledge a problem and do something about it.
It was a time to run, run for children who don't know what it means to have people see their worth.
It was a time to CELEBRATE, God's faithfulness and redemptive plan.

As the morning went on, I felt my smile getting bigger and bigger. With each car load of people that poured into the parking lot, I saw hope; with each volunteer that gave of their time, so this event could happen, I saw love; and with each runner who pushed themselves up a huge hill (twice) I saw endurance and strength.

I was humbled by Saturday. Humbled by people. humbled by a race, humbled by the job that I have. At the race was a former BG child who has been adopted to a family in Grand Rapids. My heart was overwhelmed when at the end of the race she picked weeds and wild flowers and handed them to the runners. She is a normal 5 year old girl who did what she knew to do, and she did it with joy! The whole day was a day of joy. Everyone gave of themselves in a way that pointed to our wonderful Savior and acknowledged His love and acceptance.

For those who were apart of the event, thank you. The amount of money that was raised will do great things for Beautiful Gate and its precious children.

Get ready for next year folks. We will lace up are shoes on August 15, 2015 and do it all again!!!!


1 comment:

  1. It was such a great idea, great day for an amazing cause! Thanks for your work too!
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete